Friday, May 5, 2017

The Wisdom of Solomon OR A Snap Decision


I struggled with the naming of this post because on the one hand, the wisdom I used to solve a problem was quite Biblical BUT it was also a bit of a snap decision. Allow me to explain.

It started out to be a peaceful, serene rainy Friday morning. Nothing of any great note. Yes one student was nearly speared by another student with his umbrella but that falls under the heading of normal. I did have mud and gunk splash up on my window by an 18 wheeler driving down 6th Avenue but that's happened before and probably will again. Oh, and I did have a car ALMOST run my flashing red lights today because evidently my bus isn't big enough or yellow enough or that text message she was sending was more important... but once more... been there/done that.

No today was turning out to be a pleasant, lazy start to my weekend until........

(Gemma) "MR. STUCKEY! MR. STUCKEY! PEYTON TOOKED MY PENCIL!!"

(Peyton) "NUH UH MR. STUCKEY! THIS IS MY PENCIL! GEMMA JUST THINKS IT'S HER PENCIL BUT IT'S NOT!"

(Gemma) "IT'S MY PENCIL PEYTON! IT'S YELLOW AND HAS A 2 ON IT!"

(Peyton) "NUH UH!"

(Me) "Alright you two, quit yelling, I'm right here. Now Gemma, why do you think the pencil is yours BESIDES the fact it's yellow and has a 2 on it?"

(Gemma) "Because I was playing with it and sat it down and Peyton tooked it!"

(Me) "Well first off, you shouldn't have had it out while the bus was moving and you certainly shouldn't have been playing with it. Peyton, did you see Gemma playing with her pencil, then picked it up?"

(Peyton) "No. I got it for Easter in my Easter basket."

Hmmmmm... you can see my dilemma. How do I know which 6 year old is telling me the truth? I know, I'll go all Biblical on them.

"Okay girls, here's how we'll settle it. I'm going to snap the pencil in half and give you each one half."

Peyton shrieked and started to cry. Gemma was all to eager to pocket half a pencil. Huh... that old Bible tale actually works.

No comments:

Post a Comment