Sunday, March 5, 2017

Happy Birthday

We celebrate Birthdays on my bus. The company I work for, graciously supplied me with a list of all my student passengers that includes their birth dates. It's been my experience that the kids will get super excited starting about a week before their actual birthday. It is a certainty that they will make sure to remind me every day prior, that their birthday is coming up. It is also a certainty, that when that day comes and we actually sing to them... they get totally embarrassed and sink way down low into the bus seat cushions. This is a story about Zoe. A 1st grader who was overly excited for her birthday but wasn't quite with the program when it came to answering my questions.

(Me) "Soooo Zoe... you turned 7 today. I guess you'll soon be driving a car soon?"

(Zoe) "That's silly... kids can't drive cars."

(Me) "Well than maybe you should drive the bus. Do you want to drive?"

(Zoe) *crickets*

(Me) "You know... if I keep driving you every day... you're never going to learn how."

(Zoe) "I'm only 7."

(Me) "So you wont start driving until you're 8 or 9?"

(Zoe changing the subject) "I get to stay up until 8:30 now and I get an extra dollar when I do my homework and chores!"

(Me) "Speaking of chores... when are you getting a real job?"

(Zoe) "Kids don't work until they're 20 or 90 or something and maybe sometimes when they get to go to college."

(Me) "Speaking of college... are you going to college when you get older?"

(Zoe bored with me again) "I get to go ice skating for my birthday tonight!"

No comments:

Post a Comment