Sunday, March 5, 2017

How High Can You Count


From January 5, 2017

Gemma, a 6 year old kindergartner, came running up to me before school with a paper in her hand, totally excited and with a huge smile on her face.

(Gemma) "Mr. Stuckey, Mr. Stuckey, I can count really really high! How high can you count?"

(Me) "Well Gemma, I guess I can count all the way up to a trillion but you'd be graduating high school long before I finished."

(Gemma... a little deflated now but still excited) "Oh... well I can count up to thirty! Here see."

Gemma held up her piece of paper which had the numbers from 1 to 8 on one side and 9 to 30 on the other.

(Me) "That's really great Gemma! Now can you tell me what number comes after 30?"

(Gemma looking down at her paper) "No... that's all the more number that would fit on my paper."

(Me trying to be encouraging) "Well, after 30 comes 31. Then 32, 33, 34..."

Gemma interrupted my counting and lightly tapped my arm.

(Gemma) "Mr. Stuckey... I think I'm going to need more paper."

No comments:

Post a Comment